How Aid for Chad and Peru started
- In 1984 the world heard of a devastating famine in Ethiopia.
- It reached our living rooms.
- A little while later there was news of a similar famine in S. Chad.
- Information about two Missions in S. Chad came into our hands.
- We learnt about a Sr Dominique who was desperate for aid.
- It moved hearts.
“Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow” [Matthew 6:28].
The overall theme of our windows is the depiction of lilies. The lily is the emblem of St. Joseph, spouse of Mary and dedicatee of this church, through an ancient legend that he was chosen from among other men by the blossoming of his staff like a lily. The lily is also the attribute of the Virgin Mary, being associated with innocence and purity, hope and life.
The Year of St Joseph
The official prayer of the Year of St. Joseph—To you, O blessed Joseph (Ad te, beate Ioseph)—was composed by Pope Leo XIII in his 1889 encyclical, Quamquam Pluries. The Holy Father asked that it be added to the end of the Rosary especially during October, the month of the Holy Rosary. This prayer is enriched with a partial indulgence (Source: USCCB).